Online IT Degree Programs
Information technology degrees through distance learning
An online IT degree or a traditional information technology program with campus attendance is what you need if you want to become a player in one of the most exciting and fastest growing industries in the world - the one responsible for global communication, computer network infrastructure, the growth of the Internet and its many applications.
Importance of information technology skills
- The Internet is changing the daily routines of every company in unpredictable ways, making the role of information technologies so critical in how companies operate and do business.
- More businesses than ever before are involved in global commerce - transacting business on the Internet through e-commerce sites, maintaining a virtual presence and reach through a website, engaging virtually with customers, storing and managing all business data virtually.
- The Internet, technology devices such as smart phones, wired/wireless devices, blogging, social networking, video streaming are now almost at the center of how we interact, socialize and run our daily lives.
- As more people and businesses become part of the Internet, so does new technology needs arise, such as the need for privacy, data security, network protection and cyber security.
The above present some of the opportunities where an information technology professional can render their expertise, based on their knowledge.
Featured Colleges with IT Degree Online Programs
You can pursue your information technology education by attending one of these accredited distance learning schools.
- AASIT - Application Development
- AASIT - Help Desk Administration
- AASIT - Network Administration
- AASIT - Web Development
- BSIT/ Applied Technology Track
- BSIT/ Applied Technology Track- Information Systems Management
- BSIT/ Applied Technology Track- Network Administration
- BSIT/ Applied Technology Track- New Media/Internet Marketing
- BSIT/ Applied Technology Track- Project Management
- BSIT/ Applied Technology Track- Web Development
- BSIT/ Information Systems Track
- BSIT/ Information Systems Track - Application Development
- BSIT/ Information Systems Track - Database Management
- BSIT/ Information Systems Track - Health Informatics
- BSIT/ Information Systems Track - Information Security and Forensics
- BSIT/ Information Systems Track - Mobile Computing
- MS in Information Technology
- MSIT - Business Intelligence
- MSIT - Entrepreneurship
- MSIT - Information Security and Assurance
- MSIT - Project Management
- B.S. in Information Technology - Self Designed
- B.S. in Information Technology - Networking and Operations
- B.S. in Information Technology - Security and Forensics
- B.S. in Information Technology - Web and Mobile Applications Development
- B.S. in Information Technology - Application Development, Testing, and Quality Assurance
- B.S. in Information Technology - Database Administration and Data Center Operations
- M.S. in Information Systems - General
- M.S. in Information Technology - Information Security
- M.S. in Information Technology - Information Security 2
- M.S. in Information Technology - Software Engineering
- M.S. in Information Technology - Software Engineering 2
- Masters of Information Systems Management - Business Information Management
- Masters of Information Systems Management - Enterprise Information Security
- Masters of Information Systems Management - Healthcare Informatics
- Masters of Information Systems Management - Managing Global Software & Service Supply Chains
- D.B.A. - Information Systems Management
- D.B.A. - Technology Entrepreneurship
- Associate in Electronics and Computer Technology
- Associate in Network Systems Administration
- Associate in Web Graphic Design
- B.A. in Computer Information Systems
- Bachelor's - Computer Information Systems - Business Management
- Bachelor's - Computer Information Systems - Computer Forensics
- Bachelor's - Computer Information Systems - Database Management
- Bachelor's - Computer Information Systems - Information Systems Security
- Bachelor's - Computer Information Systems - Systems Analysis & Integration
- Bachelor's - Computer Information Systems - Web Development & Administration
Colorado Technical University
- Bachelor of Science in Information Technology
- Bachelor of Science in Information Technology - Data Management
- Bachelor's (BSIT) - Network Management
- Bachelor's (BSIT) - Security
- Bachelor's (BSIT) - Software Systems Engineering
- Bachelor of Science in Information Technology - Web Development
- Bachelor of Science in Information Technology - Software Application Programming
- Doctorate Computer Science - Executive Format
- Doctorate of Computer Science - Emerging Media
- Doctorate of Computer Science - Information Assurance
- Doctorate of Computer Science - Digital Systems Security
- Doctorate Computer Science in Enterprise Information Systems - Executive Format
The benefit of online technology degree programs and courses
As more professionals create new technologies, the industry will continue to demand more professionals and an online IT degree can prepare you to be part of that central need; the need for integrating different systems and technology tools, creating websites or e-commerce site, programming interfaces, creating innovative web-based applications, maintaining network infrastructures, managing systems and applications or keeping the Internet and data safe - there are enormous, challenging and rewarding opportunities in technology.
A great benefit is that you can pursue most of the technology degrees entirely online, through distance learning, either from a traditional college that now offer degrees online or from a purely online accredited college or university.
Depending on your area of interest, you should be selective on the program since technology degrees vary in their depth of expertise and focus. Areas of specializations include general information technology, networking, systems security, network administration, multimedia and animation, computer information systems, web development, information systems security, and software development, just to mention a few.
Looking into the future with a career in technology
Careers in Information Technologies are forecasted to be in demand through 2012, according to The Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, in their published research in the Occupational Outlook Handbook, 2004-05 Edition. The highest growth areas of this profession are in network security and web software development. In particular, skills related to Java, J2EE, open source software development, JBOSS, Apache Server, Microsoft .NET, and IBM WebSphere are expected to command the highest salaries, comparatively.
Here are some important forecasts for future IT professionals:
- According to the venture capitalist firm ThinkEquity, known for specializing in online education financing, a degree in technology is one of the top five most valuable degrees one can choose, due to the rise in demand for network security, web development, business process outsourcing and consulting, network design and implementation, and required certifications on Cisco, IBM, Microsoft and Oracle. ThinkEquity states in their presentations that those who attain IT education with a particular certification earn 47% more than their non-certified counterparts do.
- International Data Corporation predicts that web-based programming jobs will grow from 1.2 million positions in 2007, to over 4 million positions worldwide. Furthermore, open source programming experts specializing in Linux and other open source operating systems, open source databases including MySQL Server, and open source application servers including JBOSS show a 67% compound annual growth in positions through 2012.
Return to the top of Online IT Degree Programs