Online Master Degree in Counseling Programs
An online master degree in counseling teaches you the skills and knowledge to assist people with handling their mental and emotional problems so you can really make a difference in their lives.
Counselors help people with their personal, family, mental health, educational and career decisions and issues.
An online master degree in counseling can prepare you to become a school counselor, vocational counselor, mental health counselor, rehabilitation counselor, substance abuse counselor, behavioral counselor, or family therapist.
Most states require state licensure for school counselors, and generally require you to hold at least a master's degree. If you are currently employed in the field, attending an online master degree school in counseling gives you the opportunity to learn while you earn. Online programs allow students to advance their education and career without compromising income or tenure.
Featured Online Masters Degree in Counseling Colleges
Capella University three of their master's programs are CACREP accredited; Mental Health Counseling, Marriage and Family Therapy, and School Counseling.
- Masters in counseling - Addiction Counseling
- Masters in counseling - General Career Counseling
- Masters in counseling - Marriage and Family Therapy
- Masters in counseling - School Counseling
- Masters in counseling - Mental Health Counseling
- Masters in counseling - Studies in Human Behavior
Grand Canyon University
- Masters in Marriage and Family Therapy (CA ONLY)
- Masters in Addiction Counseling
- Masters in Professional Counseling
- M.S. in Career Counseling
- M.S. in Clinical Psychology - Counseling
- M.S. in Marriage, Couple, and Family Counseling
- M.S. in Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)
- M.S. in Marriage, Couple, and Family Counseling - Forensic Counseling
- M.S. in Marriage, Couple, and Family Counseling - Trauma and Crisis
- Master of Education - School Counseling
- Master of Arts in Religion
- Master of Divinity
- Master of Arts in Marriage and Family Therapy
Earning an online masters counseling degree from an accredited online university opens up a variety of career options for people who enjoy helping others find solutions and improve their lives. Students of online masters degree programs become prepared to effectively assist others by taking courses in counseling studies, general human services, healthcare counseling, mental health counseling, family counsel, therapy and relationships, management of Non Profit Agencies(NGOs, social, community services among other counseling specializations. Besides learning how to help others, there are also personal benefits for earning an online master degree in counseling.
- According to the United States Department of Labor Bureau of Labor Statistics, counselors held 601,000 jobs in 2004. The average income of an elementary and secondary school counselor was $51,160. In addition, the employment of counselors is expected to grow faster than average right through the year 2014.
- Data regarding employment and median wages collected from Clinical, Counseling and School Psychologists through the Occupational Information Network revealed that the median wages for school counselors, as of 2005, was $57,170 a year. Additionally, there is a projected need of 68,000 additional employees in the counseling field between 2004 and 2014.
- The National Institute of Mental Health found that about 22% of Americans over the age of 18 (around 1 in 5) have a diagnosable mental illness and over 13% of Americans have an anxiety disorder. Further studies conducted by the Office of the Surgeon General showed that 22-23% of adults during a one year period (a total of 44 million people) had diagnosable mental health disorders. Clearly, there is a need for skilled, helpful counselors in today's stressful world.
A master degree in counseling gives you the opportunity to enjoy employment in a lucrative field where you can also make a significant difference in the lives of others.
Addiction Counseling Degree
Return to the top of Online Master Degree in Counseling Programs