Online PhD in Counseling Psychology Programs
A PhD in counseling psychology online program is an alternative way to earn your graduate degree if you’re looking for flexibility and convenience that online education offers.
With a counseling psychology doctorate degree, you can become a practicing psychologist and help people overcome their everyday problems and challenges such as stress, career planning, marriage and family issues.
As a psychologist you will also be able to promote good mental health, assess, diagnose and treat a variety of psychological and social disorders, using one of the many treatment techniques that include individual interviews, group sessions, couple and family therapies.
While some online PhD in counseling psychology programs leads to jobs in applied areas, other online counseling psychology doctorate programs such as the Argosy University's Doctor of Education in Counseling Psychology degree focuses on the application of research techniques to the counseling practice.
Online doctorate in counseling psychology programs - what to know
- Although there are many online universities offering various graduate psychology programs, the number of online accredited colleges in the United States with doctoral counseling psychology degrees are limited.
- If you're looking to study this doctorate degree by distance learning, ensure the program or school is legit, properly accredited and the program outcome will meet your professional needs.
- If your goal is to practice counseling psychology in the United States, it's worthy to note thatmost of the doctoral counseling psychology degrees offered via distance learning are not accredited by the American Psychological Association (APA) which is a licensure requirement in some states. However some of the PhD's such as the Walden University counseling psychology PhD are designed to prepare graduates to qualify for state licensing exams in order to practice. Ask the online college of your choice about state licensure requirements and any other factors regarding this degree program.
- Enrolling in an accredited online university ensures you receive the same quality education as campus students.
- The online doctorate in counseling program uses the same curriculum as the campus-based program from the same school.
- As an online learner, you have access to federal financial aid and loans to apply towards your education
- You have access to the same campus services that are offered to traditional learners including career assistance, advising, and college professors
- You can interact with fellow classmates, faculty and access educational resources through the colleges' online portals and social communities.
- You attend your graduation ceremony on-campus
What should you expect in an online counseling psychology PhD program
- Online doctorate in counseling psychology programs may be completed in three to four years depending on the learner’s pace of study and credits transferred.
- To enroll in a doctoral counseling psychology online program requires a master's level education in specializations such as mental health, school counseling, social work, pastoral counseling, family therapy or a masters degree with equivalent curriculum.
- Just like in campus-based programs, online PhD in counseling psychology programs include course work, practicums, internships and field experiences to enhance the skills learned.
- Most psychology distance learning doctorate programs require face-to-face residencies that take place in different locations throughout the program
- You will be required to complete and defend a dissertation
Featured Schools - Online Doctorate in Counseling Psychology
- PhD in Psychology - Counseling Psychology
- Doctorate in Counseling Psychology (EdD)
- Doctorate in Pastoral Community Counseling (EdD)
- PhD - Counselor Education and Supervision
Once you earn your doctorate in counseling psychology
You might work in K-12 education settings, hospitals and non-governmental organizations as a licensed counselor, consultant, administration, therapist, researcher or advocate. Like any other doctoral degree, you can also work in higher academic institutions as a researcher or college professor.
The job prospects with a counseling psychology doctoral degree is considered to be one of the best and expected to offer good employment growth through year 2018. The growth is driven by an increase in demand for psychological services in schools, hospitals, social service agencies, mental health centers, substance abuse treatment clinics, consulting firms, and private companies.
In addition to earning a doctoral in psychology degree, to practice as a counseling psychologist in the US will require an approved internship, licensing and certification by the state you wish to practice.
Return to the top of Online PhD in Counseling Psychology Programs