Online PhD Computer Science Programs
Pursuing an online PhD computer science will enable you to keep on top of technology trends as well as apply technology to a number of industries.
Before enrolling for online computer science doctoral programs, you need to have a bachelor's and master's degree in a field related to computer science. This includes information technology, database administration, network administration and web technology.
A computer science PhD imparts skills in a variety of fields, including computer design, mathematical theorems, software design and analytical tools. Upon graduation, you will emerge prepared for a career as a software programmer, network analyst, game developer, or computer science professor.
Education focus within the online computer science doctoral program
- Most online PhD computer science programs require students to take common core courses, as well as courses within their chosen specialization.
- Example core courses include Theory and Principles of Programming, Data Communications and Computer Networking, Artificial Intelligence, Software Engineering, and Computer Security.
- You will also be able to choose from a number of applied computer science courses like Business Research Methodology, Research Design, Programming Language Fundamentals, and Complex Database Management Systems.
- Part of a computer science online doctoral program coursework includes how to design, analyze, and simulate research in the software engineering process.
- You will also learn how to evaluate more advanced research in areas including database systems, software usability, and computer science trends.
- Before graduating, you will complete a self-directed research process supervised by a faculty member.
- You will also be required to complete and defend a dissertation before receiving your online PhD computer science or IT degree.
Featured Colleges with Online Doctorate in Computer Science
Colorado Technical University
- Doctorate Computer Science - Executive Format
- Doctorate of Computer Science - Digital Systems Security
- Doctorate of Computer Science - Emerging Media
- Doctorate of Computer Science - Information Assurance
- Doctorate Computer Science in Enterprise Information Systems - Executive Format
- PhD - General Information Technology
- PhD - Information Assurance and Security
- PhD - Information Technology Education
- PhD - Information Technology Project Management
- PhD in Management - Information Systems Management
- PhD in Management - Information Systems Management - Course-based
- D.B.A. - Information Systems Management
- Doctor of Philosophy in Business Administration (PhD) - Applied Computer Science
- Doctor of Philosophy in Business Administration (PhD) - Computer and Information Security
- Doctor of Business Administration (DBA) - Management Information Systems
- Doctor of Business Administration (DBA) - Applied Computer Science
- Doctor of Business Administration (DBA) - Computer and Information Security
Specializations in a computer science or IT doctorate program
- General Information Technology: If you choose to specialize in general information technology, you will study recent technological advances and how these relate to different businesses. You will also learn about information technology delivery, computer networks and system analysis, and information technology strategy and management.
- Information Assurance and Security: Most students who choose to specialize in information assurance and security seek jobs in military, government, education, and private industries. In this specialization, you will study topics like information confidentiality and risk management.
- Information Technology Education: Students who choose this specialty often become information technology teachers or consultants. In this specialty, you will study curriculum design. You will also learn about the best ways to teach information technology to adults and online students.
- Project Management: This specialization is designed to help students become leaders in the information technology field. You will take courses like Ethics, Project Management Leadership, Human Resources, and Risk Management.
Most students with a computer science PhD work within the information technology field. This includes working as a computer software engineer, game developer, network designer and computer and information specialist. You can also use your PhD in computer science to work as a computer science professor.
The U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics recent statistics indicate the computer and information technology industry will experience the highest growth compared to other industries, with an estimated growth of 28% from 2010 to 2020.
Related computer science PhD degrees
Computer Software Engineering
PhD in Multimedia Design: Students in this program learn how to incorporate multimedia designs into classroom learning, as well as how these technologies impact students. An individual with an online PhD in Multimedia Design can look for a career in educational psychology, e-learning, instructional technology, and educational administration.
PhD in Bioinformatics: The online PhD in Bioinformatics program teaches how to use technology to understand biological processes. Students with degrees in this field can work in research, education, and consultant and management positions.
Return to the top of Online PhD Computer Science Degree Programs